Malaysia LAH

Malaysia LAH 3



Saturday 18 May 2013

The angels who taught me

Thursday May 16, 2013

The angels who taught me


IT WAS my first day in Form Four at SMK Assunta in Petaling Jaya, Selangor ... way back in 1980.

When my form teacher, Miss Enid Lopez, walked into the classroom, it was as if an angel had made an entrance. Her face was radiant and she wore a wide smile on her face. I thought she looked so beautiful. I was glad to have her as my form mistress. I was twice blessed: She was again my form mistress in Form Five.

Miss Lopez taught us English Literature. William Shakespeare’s The Taming Of The Shrew and Harper Lee’s To Kill A Mockingbird were on our reading list.

Miss Lopez’s love and passion for literature was translated into her interesting teaching methods that brought the stories to life. We read passages aloud in class, acted out various roles, and had lively discussions. Literature came alive! The two years I spent learning literature under Miss Lopez’s guidance were so enriching.

She was also a wonderful role model: A godly, patient, gentle yet firm teacher who gave her utmost to her students. Thanks to her influence, I would later pursue English Literature in university in Australia.

I also salute Mrs Sekaran Nair, my History teacher. She was clearly a History buff, and she made the subject fun and interesting for us. One day, when I brought along my Look And Learn magazine to show her an article that coincided with what we were studying at that point, she encouraged me to read it aloud for the benefit of the whole class. I instantly felt affirmed.

In primary school, I failed miserably in Maths. I had all but given up hope when, in Form One, I had the most amazing Maths teacher, Mrs Teoh. She welcomed questions from her girls, and would patiently answer them until we understood the topic. Finally, it was as if someone had turned on the light for me! In Form Two, Mrs Frances Tan greatly helped me understand the subject, too. Both these teachers laid a solid Maths foundation for my secondary school years, and I passed Maths with flying colours in the SPM exam and later, in college, too.

Teachers like all those mentioned above are a godsend, so rare and precious. Thank you all for the memories! – Evelyn Len

No comments:

Post a Comment